This post contains affiliate links. If you click on a link and make a purchase I earn a commission at no extra cost for you.
Ethyl butylacetylaminopropionate (EBAAP) is an insect repellent sold under the trade name IR3535 (Trademark owned by Merck). It is very effective against ticks, mosquitoes, biting midges, horseflies, fleas, and many other bugs. Even wasps and bees don’t like the smell and stay away.
What is ethyl butyl-acetylaminopropionate?
Ethyl butyl-acetylamino propionate is a synthetic amino acid, it is a derivative of carboxylic acid and acetamide, structurally it builds on the naturally occurring amino acid beta-alanine. It appears as colorless and odorless liquid and is easily soluble in water and as such can be used in mixed with carriers in lotions, sprays, and creams.
How IR3535 repels insects and ticks
Repellents usually interfere with the sensory organs of insects. After application to skin or clothing, repellents evaporate slowly. This creates a kind of scent bell around the wearer, which triggers unpleasant stimuli in insects and prevents the possible host from being located by masking its body odor. Unlike insecticides, repellents do not kill ectoparasites, so the risk of developing resistance is comparatively low.
EBAAP / IR3535 has been used as an insect repellent for many years. It is effective against long-term protection against mosquitoes, ticks, wasps, black flies and sandflies, fleas and many other blood-sucking insects.
Mode of application of IR3535
It is available in the form of lotions, aerosols, pump-sprays, gel, and powders. Its formulations usually range from 10-30%. The formulations are directly applied to human skin or clothing. Its application usually lasts four to eight hours depending on the insect. Protection from blood-sucking insects lasts four to eight hours, but the duration can vary depending on what kind of insect buzzes around you.
Use only as recommended. Not to be applied near eyes, mouth, wounds, or irritated skin.
IR3535 can also be used as a repellent for dogs, cats, and horses.
How safe is IR3535?
EBAAP provides long-lasting protection against stinging insects and is generally very well tolerated by the skin. When used as recommended, no side effects have been reported so far.
It is well tolerated and also suitable for toddlers over the age of one.
- If overdosed or if there is hypersensitivity then IR3535 can cause mild skin irritation.
- Must not be inhaled, can cause respiratory irritation.
- Contact with the eyes must be avoided. Causes serious eye irritation
- May dissolve or damage some plastics and fabrics
Advantages of IR3535
- Well tolerated
- Also repels wasps and bees
- Very effective against ticks
- A repellent without killing action, there is no risk of insect resistance development
- It is non-toxic to aquatic organisms such as fish or algae
- Does not accumulate in the environment and is biodegradable
DEET VS IR3535
These two repellents offer protection against most mosquito species and many tick species. However, DEET is considered more effective against mosquitoes that can cause malaria and dengue fever it also provides much longer protection and does not need to be re-applied as often. DEET is the better choice if you are in areas where malaria, dengue, and sleeping sickness are a great risk.
However, IR3535 is more effective to ward off certain tick species of the type Ixodes, like the common deer tick.
Compared to IR3535, DEET has the disadvantage of strong odor, staining of certain fabrics and is more likely to cause skin irritation in sensitive people. IR3535 is colorless and odorless and comparatively no side effects.
IR3535 VS Picaridin
Picaridin is also a very effective repellent that keeps most mosquitos and ticks at bay. It is usually well-tolerated and only in rare cases may irritate the skin. Picaridin evaporates from the skin very slowly and may repel bugs for longer periods than IR3535.
While both provide effective protection against mosquitos and ticks, IR3535 is more effective against certain tick species.
Even if IR3535 or EBAAP (for ethylbutyl acetylaminopropionate) is less strong and has a shorter duration of action than DEET or Icaridin, it effectively protects against most stinging, biting and blood-sucking parasites.
The advantage of IR3535 is being its good skin tolerance and the near nill cases of unwanted side effects.
As an insect repellent, it does not kill insects but only keep them at a distance, it is also non-toxic to aquatic organisms such as fish and algae, and does not affect the ecosystem or accumulate in the environment since it is easily degradable.
It offers good protection against mosquitoes, sandflies, fleas and other ectoparasites, as well as very good protection against ticks of the Ixodes family.
- One 6 oz can of Coleman SkinSmart DEET Free Travel Insect Repellent Spray
- Mosquito repellent spray DEET-free active ingredient, IR3535, is tough on insects, but the outdoor insect repellent is gentle on your skin
- SkinSmart DEET free bug spray formula helps to repel ticks and protects from vector-borne diseases such as Lyme disease
- DEET free mosquito repellent is tough on bugs but the travel bug spray is soft on skin
- Non greasy odorless bug spray repellent provides DEET free bug repellent protection for up to 8 hours
- Suitable for the entire family
- Spf 30 Water Resistant
- Helps prevent sunburn
- PABA Free
- Non greasy formula helps replenish moisture and leaves skin soft and smooth
- Avon Skin-So-Soft Bug Guard Plus IR3535
- Expedition Strength, Deep Woods, Great For Hiking, Travel
- SPF 28 Sunscreen Spray, Water Resistant
- Unscented with Vitamin E
- Aerosol Can 4.0 fl.oz. Green Aerosol Can Expedition
Last update on 2021-03-06 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Sources and more to read: