This post contains affiliate links. If you click on a link and make a purchase I earn a commission at no extra cost for you.
With rising temperatures of spring, ticks become active again, and the risk of tick bite increases. But the bite alone is not all that is troublesome, more than one out of ten ticks carries pathogens that can transmit dangerous diseases. Protection from ticks is more important than ever. You can choose between natural tick repellent for humans or synthetic products.
Synthetic products may contain active substances such as DEED, Picaridin, Permethrin, Fipronil, and similar. Those are very effective pesticides that repel ticks and other insects. But effective as they are, they can, in rare cases, cause skin irritations or allergic reactions in some users. An alternative are natural tick repellent for humans. While they may not be free of unwanted side effects, the risk may be lower.
Natural Tick Repellent For Humans
There are many natural tick repellants, from coconut oil, tea tree oil, black cumin oil to amber stone, herbs and homeopathic remedies …, the list is endless.
Scientific studies on natural tick repellent for humans are rare. However, the effectiveness of coconut oil, garlic oil, black cumin oil, brewer’s yeast, and other essential oils as tick repellents is well discussed and many people swear by their effectiveness.
All Organic Natural Insect Repellents
- INSECT REPELLENT: This naturally repelling oil-based formula is DEET-free & GMO-free. Use Kids Herbal Armor DEET-Free Natural Insect Repellent to keep bugs away, so they can enjoy the outdoors, naturally.
- EFFECTIVE & SAFE: Kids love playing outdoors, but not mosquito & bug bites. From camping to hiking or playing in the backyard, Kids Herbal Armor is an effective bug spray for kids. Also, it won't spoil clothes or camping gear.
- DEET-FREE: This formula helps protect from bug bites effectively. Kids Herbal Armor is environmentally friendly & non-irritating to kids' sensitive skin; a perfect choice for the whole family.
- ACTIVE LIFESTYLE: Started by an outdoor enthusiast, All Terrain offers a broad line of safe & effective insect repellents, sunscreens, topical first aid & itch relief products using natural ingredients
- ALL TERRAIN: We are committed to providing safe & effective, environmentally-friendly, cruelty-free skin care protection products to help you & your family live active, healthy lives.
- ✔️REPEL BUG BITES… with confidence and enjoy the backyard all summer long. Mosquitos are known to be nasty, you want the most effective repellent available around the yard.
- ✔️NO DEET SMELL… because there is no deet here! Every bottle uses our natural blend of lemon eucalyptus oil instead of questionable chemicals like deet. Our repellent has that fresh lemon-y smell! Rest easy as you spray it on your skin irritation free.
- ✔️REPEL INSTANTLY… because mosquitos and other insects don’t wait to bite. The spray repels immediately so there’s no waiting needed to take control of the backyard.
- ✔️SAFE FOR KIDS & PETS… so you can spray in places of play. Spray our non-toxic blend in public areas without exposure to unsafe chemicals.
- ✔️PORTABLE PROTECTION… when traveling to possibly insect congested areas for work or vacation. It’s FAA approved to be taken on an airplane.
- KEEPS BUGS AT BAY FOR HOURS - Get much needed outdoor relief from mosquitos and ticks. A must have for weekend trips, camping, and travel.
- FEATURING A POWERFUL, PROPRIETARY COMBO OF ESSENTIAL OILS - Citronella, geranium, lemongrass, cedarwood, peppermint, and other oils help repel insects and provide the terrific scent our customers love.
- SAFE FOR YOUR KIDS - Our spray is DEET-free, as recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics.
- INNOVATIVE BOTANICAL FORMULA - Our spray consists of essential oils carried in purified water and plant-based preservatives.
- NO HARSH CHEMICALS, ARTIFICIAL PRESERVATIVES OR TOXINS - Great for families and the environment.
- BUGGINS NATURAL is a pleasant-smelling fragrance spray that reduces bites from gnats, buffalo gnats, turkey gnats, no-see-ums for up to 2 hours.
- Plant-based active ingredients - geraniol, peppermint, lemongrass and clove
- DEET-free for people who don't want to use DEET
- 4oz bottle
- ALL NATURAL REPELLENTS: Try our 2 in 1 bundle! DEET free mosquito and tick repellent sprays. Great for outdoor and family activities like camping, beach trips, mountain climbing, mountain biking, hiking, campfires. For use throughout all seasons
- 100% PLANT-BASED INGREDIENTS: Made in the USA with pure, certified organic and non-GMO soybean and castor oil plus a mixture of natural oils. Fresh, herbal scents that you’ll love and the bugs will hate. Non-greasy spray for skin or clothing that won’t stain
- SAFE FOR CHILDREN + THE WHOLE FAMILY: Gentle formulas great for kids and adults. Family-friendly, natural sprays that actually work to keep the bugs away. Recyclable bottles for eco-friendly use. Great for travel, camping, hiking, golfing, fishing, outdoor summer adventures, and days spent in the mountains
- EASY APPLICATION: “Shake and spray” application for hard to reach areas, avoiding face area. Simply spray on skin, clothing, gear or accessories for bug protection. 4-ounce bottles work great for traveling
- MADE IN THE USA: Both sprays formulated in the USA specifically for mosquitos and ticks. Keep the itchy bug bites away this summer for the whole family. 100% satisfaction guaranteed. YAYA Organics stands behind its promise of purity
Last update on 2020-08-13 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Essential Oils Against Ticks
Organic tick repellents are made using a carrier liquid, mixed with one or more essential oils that keep ticks away. A list of essential oils commonly used includes lavender, lemon, citronella, eucalyptus, cedarwood, sweet orange, peppermint, rosemary, thyme, oregano, juniper, grapefruit, myrrh, rosewood, and geranium.
How do Essential oils repel Ticks?
The smell of essential oils irritates the senses of the tick, or for that matter that of many insects, making it more difficult to find its host. Some essential oils also have a damaging effect on the chitinous exoskeleton of insects.
Many essential oils are too strong in their pure form and can cause skin irritation and unpleasant reactions. So it is important to use essential oils diluted.
Coconut oil against ticks
People all around the tropics traditionally use coconut oil as a natural repellent against blood-sucking insects such as mosquitos and sandflies. Coconut oil contains Lauric Acid. Many plants produce Lauric Acid to deter sap-sucking pests.
Coconut oil can be used in its pure form and be directly rubbed onto the skin. Besides repelling pests it also a good skin moisturizer.
Garlic, the smell ticks don’t like
Ticks do not like garlic. A scientific study at Lund University Malmö with 100 soldiers showed that regular consumption of garlic capsule significantly reduced the number of tick bites.
Garlic is native to Central Asia and has been used there traditionally for its health benefits. The strong smell of the plant works as a natural deterrent against plant-eating insects.
Eating fresh garlic on a regular basis may reduce the risk of a tick bite and bites from other insects.
Nigella Sativa – Black Seed Oil
Black cumin (Black Seed) does not belong to the family of caraway or cumin but belongs to the family of the buttercup. Black seed, whose botanical name is “Nigella Sativa”, is cultivated in Central Asia, India, North Africa, and Southern Europe. It has traditionally been used as a cure for allergies, high blood pressure, sleep disorders, heart diseases and considered to strengthen the immune system.
Black Seed Oil contains small concentrations of citronellol, an effective insect repellent, that is also a component in Lemongrass oil.
Citronella Oil, also known as Lemongrass Oil is obtained from Lemongrass. To produce Citronella oil, the reed-like leaves of the Lemongrass are steam distilled.
Lemongrass grows all around the tropics and has traditionally been used as a medicine and spice plant.
The fresh citrus scent is fine and refreshing to the human nose, it repels mosquitoes and other insects and is thus perfect for insect repellent mixtures. Citronella is a natural and harmless oil if it is not used excessively.
Do Natural Tick Repellents Work?
Plant-based tick repellents can help against ticks, but their effectiveness may vary in different users. As not much scientific data exists on their benefits and how they should be applied, you have no choice but to try out which tick repellent is right for you and which one works best.