This post contains affiliate links. If you click on a link and make a purchase I earn a commission at no extra cost for you.
Coconut oil has hundreds of uses among them is the use of coconut oil for insect repellent. It can be used as a natural way to repel ticks as the scent of coconut oil irritates the senses of bugs and ticks making it more difficult for these nasty pests to locate their next victim. The good thing about coconut oil is that it can be applied directly to the skin. When using pure, natural coconut oil, there is no risk of overdose and side effects are not known. The oil is a good moisturizer so it delivers added benefits in addition to repelling bugs.
Coconut Oil Tick Repellent
Coconut oil is used throughout the tropics, indigenous people apply it generously in its pure form to moisturize their skin and to ward off mosquitos.
Best pure Coconut Oil for insect repellent to repel ticks
One of the many components that make up Coconut oil is Lauric Acid a kind of saturated fat. Plants produce Lauric acid to fend of Aphids and other sap-sucking insects. Lauric acid also repels ticks, fleas, and mosquitos, thus giving coconut oil insect its repelling properties.
To use coconut oil for insect repellent it can be directly applied to the human skin.
When used on your pet dog or cat, take a small quantity in the palm of your hand and gently pet and stroke your pet. You only need a very little amount of oil; the fur of the animal should not seem wet or drip but only shine. A cat will further spread it while it’s fur.
- 100% PURE & NATURAL FRACTIONATED COCONUT OIL is one of the most versatile carrier oils and has endless uses. It is most commonly used for aromatherapy, essential oils, massage, for dogs and other pets, and as a hair & skin moisturizer. Our premium quality coconut oil Fragrance Free, Hexane Free, Preservative Free, Chemical Free, and 100% Vegan.
- COCONUT OIL FOR SKIN there are countless health benefits to using this oil topically to your skin. Scientists have figured out that this oil contains a unique combination of fatty acids with powerful medicinal properties that feed and moisturize the skin. It is light weight, provides a silky-smooth feeling for all skin types without clogging pores all while nourishing and moisturizing.
- COCONUT OIL FOR HAIR GROWTH is rich in antioxidants, and has antiviral properties. When used on hair, fractioned coconut oil helps improve scalp health, fights infections and fungus, supports hair growth, all while adding volume and shine without the common harmful chemicals.
- DILUTING ESSENTIAL OILS requires a carrier oil such as Coconut Oil , Castor Oil , Sweet Almond Oil , Grapeseed Oil , etc.. Since essential oils are so potent, they must be diluted before being applied to the skin.
- MADE IN THE USA Our Fractionated Coconut Oil produced in our Approved Facility does not contain alcohol, parabens or sulfates and is Cruelty Free.
- SheaMoisture's Virgin Coconut Oil Daily Hydration Body Oil is a skin therapy oil for dry skin that moisturizes and leaves skin soft and feeling pampered
- Leave skin with a natural glow, without a greasy look and feel with Shea Moisture's body and bath oil for dry skin
- Infused with exotic Acacia Senegal, Virgin Coconut Oil, Coconut Milk and other oils for skin to create a hydrating and lightweight, fast-absorbing body oil
- Provides everyday hydration for all skin types, even skin that only requires a drop of moisture; use as a bath oil, shower oil, after shower body oil and body moisturizer
- Pour bath oil into a warm bath to create a fragrant spa bath. Gently rub body oil into skin after shower or bath to lock in moisture as you would a body serum
Last update on 2021-01-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
What else repels ticks on humans?
Coconut oil is a purely natural insect repellent. The lauric acid, which acts as a deterrent to insects, is produced by the palm tree in order to protect itself, among other things, from plant pests.
For a homemade insect and tick repellent, use coconut oil as the base oil and mix it with essential oil. All you need is the ingredients and a bottle with a wide neck with a screw cap. Use this mixture outdoors several times a day to ward off ticks.
Recipe for homemade tick repellent
In the tropics, coconut oil is mostly liquid, but at temperatures below 76 ° F it becomes solid, so you must first heat it in a warm water bath. Don’t heat it to over 100 degrees F.
When it is liquid, you can add essential oils and stir in thoroughly. That’s it, simple as that. The coconut oil will become solid again, that why you need the wide-necked jar.
Mix one cup of coconut oil with 10 to 20 drops of essential oil of your preference to it. The following oils will work very well with coconut oil:
Tea Tree, Geranium, Catnip, Cinnamon, Citronella, Peppermint, Eucalyptus, Lavender, Lemongrass, Patchouli.
You might experiment with combinations of different essential oils and find your own dosage, don’t overdose and check for skin reactions.
Some people react to essential oils. Check for allergic reaction before use. Apply a minimal amount to the skin inside your elbow area to test for any reaction. If a rash occurs, consult your healthcare professional.
For external use only. Avoid contact with eyes, keep out of the reach of children. If pregnant, consult with your doctor before use.