A tick hook is a small, practical tool with which, when used properly, ticks can be easily removed from the skin. Tick hooks are available in different sizes, so small nymphs or large ticks can be removed easily.
What is A Tick Hook
A tick hook looks a little bit like a crowbar. An just like a crowbar, this type of tick removal tool also consists of a rod with a curved end with flattened tips and a small, narrowing tapering gap in the middle.
This flattened end with the tapering fissure can be pushed carefully around the tick to grab it. Then it can be slowly and carefully pulled out of the skin.
Originally, tick hooks were developed to remove ticks from horses, dogs, and cats. However, they have shown to be quite useful to remove ticks from humans too.
Tick hooks are small and light, they fit into any bag or pocket. They come in different sizes. Use the larger ones for large ticks or ticks that are full of blood. Small hooks have a very fine gap, so even small tick nymphs can be removed with it.
Pros of the Tick Hook
- Easy and safe to use.
- Comes in different sizes for small ticks or large ticks.
- Unlikely to crush the tick during removal.
- When used as instructed, the risk of tick parts breaking off is low.
- Does not stress tick very much. Less risk that the tick will again secrete fluid into the wound due to stress.
Cons of the Tick Hook
- When the twisting method is used, the mouthparts of the tick may break off. Work very slow.
- Pet may not keep still long enough. But that problem is there with all tick removal
- Ticks may slip through if a too large tool is chosen, they could get squashed in the process.
- ✔️ BEST TICK REMOVER FOR PETS OR PEOPLE - The Tick Tornado safely and easily removes the entire tick, reducing the risk of infection and serious illnesses like Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and Lyme Disease.
- ✔️ VETERINARIAN MADE - Safest and easiest way to remove dangerous ticks. Created by a veterinarian, the Tick Tornado is an effective alternative to tweezers, matches, or other devices.
- ✔️ PERFECT FOR OUTDOORS ENTHUSIASTS - Keep your tick remover kit in your first aid kit, glove compartment, or backpack to easily remove ticks wherever you go
- ✔️ HOW TO - The twisting motion is necessary to ensure that no parts of the tick's mouth are left behind in the skin when the tick is removed. This helps to minimize the chance of transferring infectious agents, like Babesiosis and Lyme Disease.
- ✔️ USA DESIGNED - This tick removal card has been field-tested and designed for easily and safely removing embedded adult and nymph ticks from humans, dogs, cats, or other pets.
- It removes the tick without squeezing it, reducing the risk of infection
- It doesn't leave the mouthparts of the tick in the skin
- It removes small and large ticks
- Tick Twister is the safest and easiest way to remove ticks
- Remove ticks in a few seconds without pain
- What can you get: you will receive 7 pieces removal tool totally, which contains 3 pieces removers, 3 pieces stainless steel tweezers and 1 piece stainless steel comb, a good combination provide for you to use
- Effective function: it can remove entire bad something on pet dogs or cats, no direct contact with pet skin, you do not need to worry about getting dirty after cleaning, works on most sizes of pets, suitable for various pet supplies
- Durable material: the removers are made of plastic, the tweezers and comb are made of stainless steel, they are serviceable, not easy to break, you can use it for long term
- Easy to use: it is very convenient to use on dogs, cats, horses, and people, works well to remove bad something from humans, dogs, cats or other pets, you just need to bring a small box to bring all these tools, help your pets clean up anytime and anywhere
- Thoughtful gift: people with pet dog or pet cat usually worry about cleaning their pets, with this pet removal tool kit in different function, you can make your pet keep clean easily, a practical gift to those pet owners who will be happy
- ✔️ EASY & AFFORDABLE TICK REMOVAL - The hook tip is designed to safely and easily remove ticks from humans or pets, and can be easier to use on a thick-furred, feisty dog or cat than a pair of tweezers.
- ✔️ DURABLE & COMPACT DESIGN - These tick removers are durable, lightweight, and pocket sized, which makes it easy to take with you in your first aid kit or backpack
- ✔️ INCLUDES THREE SIZES OF TICK REMOVER - Keep them together to provide more options, or give one to each member of your family!
- ✔️ FREE TICK ID CARD & STORAGE POUCH - This 3-piece set includes a free pocket-sized Tick Species ID Card, plus a resealable storage pouch
- ✔️ UNIVERSITY RECOMMENDED TICK REMOVAL - Follow the included instructions for safe and complete tick removal by pulling, not twisting, the tick
Last update on 2021-01-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
How to use a tick hook
If you want to remove a tick, it is important to remain calm. This ensures that the tick is carefully pulled out of the bite site in one piece. It is also important that the tick does not notice much of the thing so that it does not feel stressed and possibly vomits into the wound and thus still transfers pathogens.
The first question that always arises is: Twist or pull?
A tick hook can be used for both tick removal techniques. You can twist or pull.
However, the question of whether ticks should be pulled out or twisted out is still been debated. Medical professionals as well as tick remover manufacturers can also not agree on the best method.
Some believe that twisting works much better, while others promote pulling the tick out. Both methods have advantages and disadvantages.
When twisting, there is a risk of twisting off a part of the tick, which then remains stuck in the skin.
But even when pulling the tick out, there is also a risk of tearing a part of the tick off.
I pull the tick out in a very slow and steady motion. Rarely does the mouthpart break off.
- Select the appropriate size hook. If in doubt, choose the smaller hook.
- Have wound disinfectant-ready (e.g. alcohol pads) to clean the wound after the tick has been removed.
- Disinfect the tick hook.
- Slowly and carefully push the hook under the tick as far as possible.
- With a slow and steady motion, pull the tick out. Or, as some recommend: Twist the hook slowly around while you slightly pull.
- Inspect the tick, to see if it is in one piece. Put the tick into a glass jar and keep it in case its need for analyses.
- Inspect the wound, disinfect it with rubbing alcohol or similar, cover it if necessary.
After a tick bite, you have to monitor yourself and your body signed and symptoms.
If a circular red spot forms after about a week and spreads outwards, you have to see a doctor as soon as possible. This could indicate an infection with borreliosis bacteria.
If you experience weakness or flu-like symptoms (e.g. fever, body aches), you should see your family doctor quickly.
Once you have kept the tick, the doctor can check whether it contains dangerous pathogens (e.g. TBE viruses).
Tick hooks are good and effective tools to remove ticks quickly and easily. They work on people as well as on pets. The advantage over tick pliers and tweezers is the low possibility of accidentally squashing the tick.
Prevention is better than cure
If you are regularly dealing with tick problems, you should look into stepping up preventive measures instead of having to remove ticks often. There are a number of options for this too.
Whether you rather use strong synthetic tick repellents or natural repellents that contain essential oils needs considering and taking into account all the advantages and disadvantages and the risk factors given by the environment, like how high the tick risk is.
For your yard and garden, there are also a variety of preventive measures that you can take to decimate the tick population and keep it under control.