Cats are special animals, they love to roam the outdoors all year. But during tick season from early spring to late autumn those nasty little bloodsuckers can easily bury themselves into your cat’s fur and bite your pet to suck blood. Use Tick Repellent for Cats to reduce the risk of a tick bite on your cat and regularly inspect your cat’s fur. As the tick needs some time until it finds a proper bite site, you may find the arachnid before it bites your pet. If it’s too late, you should remove the tick as soon as possible.
Cats are sensitive towards certain tick repellents as their metabolism differs from other mammals.
Only to use such tick repellent for cats that are specially made for and safe to be used on cats.
Natural way to repel ticks on cats
Natural tick repellents for cats are popular with many cat owners. Although natural repellents are not as effective as chemical tick repellents, they can reduce the number of tick bites considerably.
A tick collar can keep ticks away from your cat. The advantage of tick collars is that they usually last longer than spot-on preparations.
The PremiumCare Tick & Flea Collor uses no chemicals only natural ingredients. The combination of 4 essentials oils (Castor, Thyme, Clove, and Lemon Grass) in low concentrations is usually well tolerated by cats and is harmless to humans.
Ticks avoid the smell of the essentials oils contained in the collar. The advantage of applying the essential oils with the help of a tick collar over topically applying it on the cat’s fur is that the cat can not lick it. However, not all cats like a necklace.
Natural Spot-On Tick Repellent For Cats
Some work primarily with substances which are distributed over the fur and on the skin of the cat and work as an effective tick repellent. Whatever tick repellent control you use, cats should still be checked regularly for ticks.
Alternative Natural Tick Remedies
Coconut oil: Is a good, safe and natural tick repellent for cats which also protects against fleas and other parasites. It contains Lauric Acid, which keeps ticks away from your cat. Coconut oil is not harmful to cats and you can not really overdose it. Rub a small amount of coconut oil in the cat’s neck, head, ears, and back. Repeat depending on the frequency of tick infestation the procedure every 3-4 days. If your cat licks it and it gets into the organism of the cat, it has a positive effect on the intestinal flora as it also protects against worms.
Garlic against ticks: Some feed garlic to their cat, however, the cat may not readily eat garlic. Mix a crushed toe in a little cottage cheese or yogurt, the chances of success are already larger.
Alternatively, one can also slightly squeezed garlic juice into the neck of the cat. There are also commercially available tablets or pastes with garlic extracts.
Amber Necklaces: Quite a few people belief Amber Beads in the form of a neckless to protect cats and dogs from ticks. Amber is said to repel ticks by an electrostatic field that builds up by rubbing the amber on the fur of the animal. However, the deterrent effect of amber necklaces against ticks could not be detected in tests.
Preventing Tick Infestation in Cats
- Keep on checking for the presence ticks on the body of the cats. Once you find ticks on the cats, it is best to remove them immediately.
- If the cat permits, regular bathing habit should be implemented using special cat shampoos to kill any ticks on your pet.
- Consider using natural tick repellents on your cat in a regular manner.
- The best way to safeguard the cats from ticks is, to use the tick collars and tick powders or other spot-on preparations. Use natural remedies as a continuous prophylactic and use highly effective chemicals to clear an acute infestation.
- You may use tick sprays, in the case of the non-working capability of the shampoos, carefully spray onto the cat’s fur. Care should be taken near the cat’s face.
- An efficient way to protect the cats from ticks is, to keep your house and yard (reduce ticks in your yard ) tick free by removing tick hiding places where possible as well as planting tick repellent plants.